The journey

Before starting The Camino , many people would ask me why I had decided to hike over 100km across a country that I had never been to . I would usually answer something along the lines of   “wanting to travel” or “adventure.” I would describe the sights that I had hoped to see and the people I wanted to meet . I always gave an answer that described the physical journey. Only one day into the walk however, I began to realize that this pilgrimage was much deeper than just a physical journey for most. Not long into our trip we met a group of Australian women and their newly made friend from Texas . After a while of walkingwith these women, they told a story of the reason they were here . They were transporting the ashes of their deceased mother and brother to Santiago. The woman from Texas then shared a story of her life back in the US . She shared that shewas in a terrible marriage and finally decided to divorce her husband and also quit her job in the process . All of these people had wonderful stories and amazing reasons to be walking The Camino . Whether you are walking to mourn, for clarity, or even to find strength in yourself, it is clear that this journey is not just about getting from point A to Santiago . The journey actually happens within most of us, and none of us will end this journey the same as we began it . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Pilgrimage? Expectations for the journey

A Flight (and Middle of the Night) to Remember

For all my fellow sufferers