The Unexpected Camino

When discussing the Camino, people always reference this feeling of communitas.  This sense of community that ties together all the pilgrims trekking across the Galician country side over rolling hills, winding streets, and mystical forests. All pilgrims to a certain degree have to rely on the kindness of strangers in order to make it through the Camino, which in my opinion is really the force bringing everyone together.  As a result, there is a friendly vibe while on the route. Everyone introduces themselves and you cannot make it to Santiago without hearing “Buen Camino” at least two thousand times.   Throughout my trip I have made many connections with people from more places than I could imagine including Germany, Sweden, Canada, Australia, the United States, and more.  I was in such awe meeting the people from all over the world I seemed to completely overlook something.  And this was the bond forming between our little group itself.  Having to leave everyone this morning it seems almost impossible that nine days ago we were perfect strangers.  Yes, we had gone to an orientation meeting or two together but other than that we knew nothing about each other. Now, after our miles of walking and hours of conversation ranging from serious debate topics to making sarcastic remarks about finding a rock, I feel like I know everyone on a personal level. A level that would not usually be developed in only nine days.  Some of the people on this trip I know I will be friends which forever and I loved getting to know everyone so personally.  I feel like throughout this trip I was able to become more open minded about certain topics and more aware viewpoints I had never even considered. If I was to choose one thing that I want to remember from the Camino it would be the friendships I formed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Pilgrimage? Expectations for the journey

A Flight (and Middle of the Night) to Remember

For all my fellow sufferers